Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Make referrals easy

(Scott) The other day a friend was out walking her neighborhood. She came across a freshly-painted house with a big sign in the front yard advertising the services of the paint company. On the sign, the painter had taped a small stack of business cards (in addition to the company phone number printed boldly on the sign).

What a simple, but effective idea! You see, when I'm out for a walk and see a beautifully painted house that reminds me my place could use a paint job... I may not be ready to call the painter that moment. However, grabbing a business card means its easy to make the call from home later. It reduces the possibility that I'll forget the painter's number (from the sign) and name (so I can't look him / her up in the phone book). In doing so, it creates new business.

I really like this as an example of simple marketing. We often get pretty darn fancy about promoting companies and products via flashy websites, dynamic multi-media campaigns, or even just glossy brochures... when sometimes all it takes is a well-positioned business card.

BONUS: Would love to see the painter tape a picture of the house "BEFORE" the paint job onto the yard sign. That'd make it even more clear the value that was delivered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home