Monday, January 08, 2007

Global Consumer Insights

(Scott) Hey there - Sofia's last post has got me thinking... what are some of the most compelling or memorable behaviors / actions / human factors you have observed in other countries.

Let me get the discussion started... (from my experience)

1. Russians drink on planes. You may find this a generalization, but both times I've traveled to or within Russia, many of the passengers became drunk (certainly more than in any other region in which I've flown). Several of the passengers on board purchased full bottles of liquor from the "drink cart" and walked up and down the aisles pouring shots for both friends and strangers. I found this behavioral both really social, and really odd. Insights?

2. Chinese taxi drivers do not accept tips. When I was in Shanghai a few months back, I took maybe a dozen taxi rides and the first few times tried to tip my driver. On each occasion, the driver flatly refused my tip. When I tried to force the matter, the money was thrust at me and the motion was made for me to get out. I found this really surprising... especially when service in surrounding countries (Thailand, Philippines, etc) thrives on tips. Insights? Other experiences?

3 Comments:

Blogger ROInnovation said...

When I worked in the Middle East I learned that people in Saudia Arabia, Jordan, and Egypt think that Coca-Cola is good for the digestion, which is why many drink a Coke after lunch. They also think that sugar is good for helping children to grow, hence why they give sugary drinks to children from quite young ages. Very diferent to us in the UK who are starting to avoid fizzy drinks in favour of fruit juices, and who don't want our children to have any sugar at all other than that in fruit they eat (many of the mums I know don't even give their children fruit juices because of the sugar levels within).

1/09/2007 11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coke has 'tweaks' for different countries.Mexican Coke uses Cane Sugar, Majority of US Coke uses HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup). South American Coke has a slightly different formula, not as sweet while Saudi Coke is sweeter!

1/10/2007 12:32 PM  
Blogger Sofia said...

Interesting comments. Love this! One of the questions that has plagued me since getting to India is WHY is there so much dirt in public areas? WHY do people litter so freely? It really is a site and it's pretty disgusting.
At first i put it down to lack of education -- naive of me, as most indians have been educated.
Through talking to people I have come to understand the following. If you go into the home of an Indian it is immaculately clean. Indians really take pride in their own personal space. However in the public space, there is a lack of ownership. And a lack too of civic responsibility. Hence the litter and the lack of respect for the public space.

1/17/2007 9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home