Thursday, March 22, 2007

The best of times, the worst of times

(Pam) As you know, I'm part of a new innovation department within a big company. It's been tough setting up, as not everyone's convinced of what we do or how valuable it is to the company. But we are making progress - it's almost 4 months since I started, and it's been exhausting, high pressured, challenging and scarey, as well as exhilarating, exciting, inspirational, packed with learning, glamorous, creative and successful.

We've just had the most hectic 2 weeks, and it's the second time this has happened - we do an incredible job on several projects, creating some great new ideas, impressing people and winning friends. But when that happens we invariably have another (smaller set of people) who feel left out, jealous or offended!

As a result our inboxes are crammed with congratulations and complaints! The best of times and the worst of times. I think the old cliche is true about not making omlettes without breaking eggs, but it's such a rollercoaster - from one hour to another - from high to low to high again.

I'm so pleased we have such a tight team as we can support each other through it all! NOw I just have to remember it's not possible to please everyone!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I started up at Microsoft, I asked a bunch of the senior folks what it took to be successful... one piece of advice I received was, "if you're not stepping on people's toes and pissing some people off, you're not doing enough".

I took that to heart, and it sounds like you have too. As you know from product development, if you try and create a product that appeals to everybody... it ends up appealing to nobody (it's too lowest common denominator). So, bottom-line, I congratulate your team for not pleasing everyone - it means you're probably get a lot of stuff right. Well done.

3/24/2007 8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home